Monday, July 11, 2011

Tale of a Modern Day Millennial Interview

Modern Day Millennial Interview, A tale of evolution from the traditional interview

Last week I was asked to meet with the head of an edgy integrated marketing boutique interested in hiring a freelance media producer. Stepping into their offices I was immediately attracted to the warehouse-like shop where Herman Miller meets the west Loop's factory charm and for the first time I began flirting with the idea of working for a company. Beautiful young millennials banged away at their Macs in designer jeans and tight t-shirts that would've had the Mad Men rolling in their graves.

I waited in the lobby (which was decked out with a black leather couch, the latest Esquire, and an imaginary receptionist) for fifteen minutes and just as I was about to listen to that inner voice saying, screw this - they must not think my time is valuable, my interviewer walked in. He sized me up my from my inappropriately short white shorts to the gray and green feathers in my hair, and I him with his cool designer glasses and that hurried look suggesting his importance. If this were a first date I'd have been texting my girlfriend under the table to call in an emergency.

What was supposed to be a 30-minute interview turned to an hour and then to cancelling meetings to further the discussion. After nearly two and a half hours the company's need for a part-time freelance producer had evolved to a full-time position in a role that we'd created over the course of our discussion. Before leaving he asked if I had any last questions, to which I replied: "Can I bring my dog to work every day?" He laughed and agreed.

As a millennial it's interesting to observe the ways in which the traditional interview process have evolved beyond traditional Ann Taylor suit wear and neatly printed CVs, to sizing up raw talent and lifestyle needs. We are moving beyond selling our capabilities as individual to a corporation, to a deeper discussion around value contribution to an organization that fits within a larger contextual lifestyle. Ultimately as millennials we want freedom of expression.

Perhaps lessons from the extremists at Google, who gave staff one day a week to dedicate to a passion, are beginning to permeate the organizational membrane. Whatever the case I'm happy to see companies recognizing that work can still be infused with tremendous value by people with short-shorts and Chihuahuas.

by Kristen DaRosa

No comments: