Sunday, November 27, 2011

Milonga in Argentina

Tonight we dared..we went to our first authentic milonga in a 100 year old rotunda (for lack of a better word) People of all ages, shapes and sizes doing the most incredible tango's I have ever seen, Chris and I were awestruck and more than slightly intimidated. Women and men stand around the perimeter of the space and women wait for a man to nod to them. Complete strangers dance intimately with fluidity and grace that is difficult to put into words. I was almost afraid to have someone ask me to dance not only due to the language barrier but for the intricacy of the steps. I danced! It was not easy, he is still alive and I too survived my first milonga. It is the most soulful, beautiful, artistic dance one can ever watch. I am in awe of the technique that takes years to master, I am more in love with it then when I came.

It was a fabulous and busy day. We went right to Plaza Dorrigo for the outside markets, tango dancers, gaucho's (that would be Argentinian cowboys:-) and a day of shopping, watching, listening to tango music everywhere, crafts, handmade leather, soft alpaca, it's a shoppers' paradise. We lunched at La Brigada, one of the most famous of all the steakhouses. Walked to Mansion Dandi Royal, a 100 year Art Nouveau restored mansion, now a hotel with a tango palace within it for guests.

Returned to our 'hood, which we love the most for a dinner at Mott at 10PM (OY these late night dinners) and yes, more Freddo ice cream..., irresistible.

No comments: