Sunday, November 27, 2011

MIdnight in Argentina

Sorry I am late with this but late was the order of the evening. I don't think I've seen 1 AM since I was a teenager, let alone dance till then. The days seem to be filling up faster maybe because we kinda sorta lost a week with all that airplane hoopla. Anyway, Saturday started with our usual leisurely breakfast in the garden. Interesting buffet if I haven't shared earlier. Fruits...mango, kiwi, honeydew, pineapple. Swiss cheese platter with almonds sprinkled over it. Muesli, cocoa powder, corn flakes. Croissants, brownies and pound cake with nuts, all of which is expected to be spread with dulce de leche...caramel the equal to butter here. A platter of ham or prosciutto and the best damn yogurt I have ever had.

Running out of money, we had to walk to the only place to exchange, the mall, a good 6 mile walk. The dollar is 1 to 4+ here so everything is beyond cheap, from restaurants, to clubs to shopping, oh yes, shopping. Never have Chris and I so enhanced an economy:-)
The weather is perfect, hot during the day (we stole two hours at our rooftop pool) and balmy at night. Our neighborhood is fabulous for strolling, safe, hip with outdoor cafes, music coming from all of them, shops open late, people everywhere, friendly, warm people. Our area is clean as opposed to everywhere else which has broken streets, garbage and graffiti.

We had lunch at our hotel as we have an award winning chef so the food is wonderful then walked to the famous Freddo for the even more famous ice cream, the lines are always a block long. Alejo, the owner of Vistage Argentina has challenged us to a taste test at three of the most famous ice cream places and the ice cream here is extraordinary, we are up for the challenge...and happy about it too:-)

Time to dance, back to La Viruta for our class then took a break during the practica and went to a recommended restaurant, Olsen, yes, Scandanavian and it was beautiful and tasty, OK, interesting! Then back to La Viruta for milonga (which is where they dance). Men nod at you, you go to them, you dance. Yes, again, I reiterate a very
male dominant dance but more fabulous than I can write about, it takes my breath away to watch and to do, challenges and excites me. Latin dance has always been my talent, my passion, my interest so this whole experience takes me to to a new level.

Adios muchacha's...Time to go to our first public milonga in the park, slightly nervous but up for the challenge. Buenos Noches...my Spanish is more like Spamish:-)

No comments: