Monday, January 10, 2011

The Tortoise and the "Hair"

Sorry for being a day late but I have a good excuse...I was on a plane to Mexico. I am now happily ensconced in my villa in Zihuatanejo...never heard of it? I'm sure you saw The Shawshank Redemption, everybody has, great movie with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman...well, this is that idyllic spot they meet at the end of the movie. It is breathtaking.

I digress! So cool, we arrived in time to release 100 just hatched, literally baby sea turtles into the ocean, it was absolutely a special moment. The mother lays about 100 eggs a year, no wonder it's once a year, she needs to recuperate. We each got handed a baby, smaller than the center of the palm of my hand. We cupped our other hand over it and all walked to the ocean where they set up a clothesline of balloons. When they told us, we bent down and released our little babies into the Pacific, what a sight. Then you cannot move as the waves take them in and out, so you have to stand still till they all wash out to the ocean. It was wild to see these little black heads poking out of the vastness. Only a few will survive, how sad. It was a once in a lifetime experience and we know, I'm all about experiences:-)

No comments: