Monday, July 12, 2010

Biz Byte | What is your Customer Service Strategy

Customer Service or Lip Service Presentation by Mikki Williams
I get to do a lot of client appreciation programs for companies. I just completed two days of sales training for one of my favorite clients in Houston, Universal Weather and Aviation. I trained the sales force in the use of the DiSC profile to recognize and sell to the behavioral style of their customers. Then we worked on techniques from my Speakers School to give them the tools for the best presentations, one-on-one or to a group. We spent a day on video coaching and it turned out to be a great two day investment in their people. They all sent me THE most beautiful bouquet for my July 4th birthday with a card that read, “Thank you for an amazing experience.”

I digress...This company can be the “poster child” for great customer service as they invest in their people to be better at what they do to give their customers a great experience. When is the first or last time you did something like that for your good customers?

In my customer service program I use a lot of examples and stories (you all know, I'm a story teller) to illustrate examples of good and bad service, to inspire leaders to manage "moments of truth." For those of you who may not be familiar with the term "moments of truth" it was coined by Jan Carlson at the time he was CEO of SAS Airways. "It is a judgment...it can be in advertising, phone, face, cleanliness, service, billing...any time a customer comes in contact with some aspect of your business and uses that opportunity to judge the quality of service your business provides."
So, if you have a grouchy receptionist that could be my "moment of truth" when I come in contact by phone or in person that makes me now assume that everyone in your company has a bad attitude.
A service strategy is like a bath; no matter how well you do it this time you have to do it again and again, and frequently. Here is what your service strategy should look like;
1. It's a non-trivial statement of intent, not just a slogan.
2. It noticeably differentiates you from others, i.e. FedEx, Domino's, etc.
3. It has value in your clients' eyes (a bank open late, no questions on returns, etc.)
4. It's deliverable by your organization.

What is your service strategy?

To find out more about my presentations and other speaking services, visit MikkiWilliams.com!

No comments: