Friday, June 11, 2010

Love in Bloom in June, Part 1

June is for weddings, love, graduations, celebrations...so it seems appropriate to talk about marriages (no...not mine!). But I have been inspired over the years by a few. So much so that I tell everyone about these couples every chance I get. I asked my favorite married folk to share with you the secret of marital bliss and longevity. Now I get the chance to share it with you…in their own words.

Linda and Jean Pierre Marques
Who knew a Frenchman born in North Africa would meet and marry an American-Armenian from Los Angeles and be celebrating their 25 years together (and 20 married years)? It has been a deep love and friendship, and each year it gets stronger and stronger. The amazing thing is that, even today, people still ask us if we are on our honeymoon. We feel the biggest factors in a long, happy marriage besides a deep, true love, is unconditional love, respect, compromise and communication with your partner.
From Jean Pierre:
As a man I learned very fast, the best 2 ways to a healthy, happy lifetime relationship is: 1. A Happy Wife is a Happy Life And a very powerful, positive mantra to make this happen is: 2. Learn to say to your wife, “Yes, Dear.” (Mikki, of course, I am just kidding) These are my thoughts about my beautiful, loving relationship with my wife. First, it doesn’t matter the race, religion or culture. Always I respect and enhance the individuality of Linda, compromising when I have to and, more important, to realize that a man has a different way to think, see and feel than a woman. Therefore, when I put myself in the place of how a woman thinks, feels and sees, I can understand and make the change necessary to have more harmonious and playful and peaceful communication. Vice versa, I do believe if a woman can understand that, love, peace and harmony can be forever with a couple. I do know I achieved that with Linda. My philosophy is that we have to let go of our egos and negative conditioning of what women and men are. Knowing that we are human beings yearning for love, care and peace. That is my personal experience of how we can make the world a better place as well. By first changing ourselves, then as a couple, family and the rest of the world. Each day when I wake up, as the years go by, I realize I am still on my honeymoon knowing in my soul that my union with Linda will be for the rest of my life. Wow!
From Linda:

When we married it was my first marriage and I was 35 so I knew exactly what I wanted and what I didn’t want. I loved Jean Pierre the minute I met him for his passion, his character, his love of life, his teaching and care for his students, and his sense of humor (let alone his good looks!) and all I knew is that I wanted to be around him (and I still do!!!) Every day is a new adventure, and through the ups and downs of life, which is just a part of life, I know my husband is there to support me unconditionally and me for him.
Two funny stories: When I was growing up and well into adulthood I remember thinking I would never date anyone who was under 6’ tall. My whole family thought I was nuts and quite unreasonable. I had opportunity to date some nice men but no, the height trumped everything. I had a nice selection of shoes and boots with the 3” and 4” heels that made me close to 5’10”. Well, the day I met Jean Pierre (who is about 5’8”) and the months and years after, my gorgeous “heel” shoes seemed to be going into boxes and into garage sales. What was replacing them were lower-heeled shoes and flats. My dad especially couldn’t believe it. He knew this was the “real thing” if I were giving up my shoes and my “never under 6’ thing. He even told the story at our wedding. So now I tell my family and friends and students “never say never.” Second story is the fact that humor and laughter and fun are a big part of any lasting relationship, especially with a Frenchman. For 25 years the Frenchisms keep us laughing and Jean Pierre is such a good sport about it. I tell him I’m not making fun but that it’s so darn cute….
The latest funny was when Jean Pierre insisted someone looked like “champagne.” I said, "How can someone look like champagne?” and after about 10 minutes of back and forth we realized he was talking about “Sean Penn.”
Another time we were having coffee on a Sunday morning at our favorite cafĂ©. Jean Pierre said, "I’d like Myco Mix.” I said what is Myco Mix thinking it was a French cereal. He just said “myco mix, myco mix.” Getting frustrated I said, “I don’t know what Myco Mix is.” After about 10 minutes of this he slowed down and said “My Comics”!!!!!!"

Linda and Jean Pierre's Businesses, based in Coronado, CA
Coronado Yoga & Wellness Center
Zen of Movement, Inc. Behavioral, Wellness and Spiritual Consultations
619.437.6840

No comments: