Monday, June 15, 2009

Dog or Dogged?


I love my dog! Brat is a 13 year old Llasa Apso (that's Tibetan). My son Jason has a wry sense of humor so Brat wears a dog tag that says "Free Tibet." In February Brat was stumbling on occasion so I took him to my vet. He couldn't find the cause so he sent me to a neurologist...that's a whole other story. Let me just say I didn't do enough homework before entrusting my precious pooch to this guy and as a result of his "tactics" Brat became totally handicapped, losing all capabilities of ever walking normally again. Tenacity being my middle name I was "dogged" in finding all possible solutions. On to an orthopedic vet and finally a naturopathic vet and thousands of dollars later there was no answer. I bought a harness, vitamins, he had acupuncture, laser therapy and even considered a doggie wheelchair. Then the moment when well-intentioned friends suggested putting him down.

Herein lies the story. He is not in pain, never has been in pain but my own observations and all the vets' concurrence..he is simply physically challenged. He is happy, he is loving, he has adapted brilliantly to crawling, peeing and pooping and playing. I would no sooner "put down" a relative who became handicapped then I would this member of my family and so I too have adapted. Enjoy the photo of Brat in his little red wagon. I take him to the park, I sit and read for half hour (good for me) and he lies in his wagon basking in the accolades of all passersby who think he is so cute...he is!

There is no moral to this story but I think there is a life lesson for me and it reaffirms what I've always believed in...trust your heart and your instincts, love unconditionally, never give up until you've exhausted all your options, then listen to your heart and your instincts. Now go pet your dog!!!

No comments: