Sunday, March 20, 2011

Don't "Should" On me

Stop "Should-ing" on your audience and think "what's in it for me." 


I was coaching a client this week about giving a presentation and he said he was going to talk on X because the audience "should" know that? My retort was the ol' radio station to which we are all tuned into on an automatic daily basis, WIIFM, what's in it for me?

 It gave me pause even beyond the coaching session about how many areas of our lives we "should" on people. You "should" wear a coat, it's cold outside, you "should eat your veggies, they're good for you, you "should" start dating again, you "should" see this movie... So the question is, how can we rephrase. rethink and reboot our "shoulds" so they are more inspiring and therefore can offer people the self motivation they need to implement themselves?

Albert Ellis, coined a word for all this "should-ing", he called it "muster-bation". In other words, you are "muster-bating" whenever you behave in ways that you feel you "must". So what's the answer? It's simple, stop allowing it, it causes you stress, no one is keeping score, stop the imposition. If you "should" on others, rephrase, make it a polite suggestion instead of "you should see this movie", try "I just saw a great movie that I think you might enjoy...) Think of how you "should" on others and how much you allow others to "should" on you. Now simply cease and desist!!!!

No comments: